E-mail Password Войти


English | Русский
Geography of Journal Authors

Stratum plus. 2014. No.6

M. V. Ivashchenko (Saratov, Russian Federation)

Ceramic Stamps from Chersonesos “Nymphaeum”




Access this article (PDF File) for Free!

<< Previous page

Pages: 273-281


The article publishes and analyzes ceramic stamps from the “Nymphaeum”. This complex, which was located near the city gate of the 16th curtain in the south-eastern sector of Chersonesos, was excavated in 1957—1958 by S. F. Strzelecki. During the two years of excavation, epigraphic material consisting of 17 ceramic stamps (Thasos, Mende, Acanthus and Heraklea) was discovered there, 16 of which were on an amphorae and one on a tile. The time span of the stamps is wide enough: from the late 5th century BC till the 30s of the 4th century BC. Apparently, filling of the “Nymphaeum” was done simultaneously, for which purpose garbage from the city dump was used. On the basis of the two latest Herakleian stamps of the magistrate Σιλανός and manufacturer Αἰσίμιδας, the author assumes that both the filling of “Nymphaeum”, as well as   the first phase of construction of the “Hellenistic” defensive wall, erected over “Nymphaeum”, are dated to the late 40s — early 30s of the 4th century BC.


Keywords: Chersonesos, 4th century BC, “Nymphaeum”, crypt, filling, complex, amphora, stamps, magistrates, manufacturers, “the most ancient” wall


Information about author:

Mikhail Ivashchenko
(Saratov, Russian Federation). Saratov State University. Astrakhanskaya St., 83, Saratov, 410012, Russian Federation
E-mail: [email protected]

Shopping Cart
Items: 0
Cart Total: 0,00 €
place your order

Price
pdf version

student - 0,00 €
individual - 0,00 €
institutional - 0,00 €